8.06.2010

Forgiveness: My Burden Was Made Light



As I watched this video I thought about a really profound General Conference talk a few years back. I can't remember who gave it (I think it was Bednar) and I don't have time to look it up (gotta get dinner on the table in ten minutes) but Elder Someone said that when we are offended by others' actions we are actually sinning because we are not forgiving them. When I heard that I was like, whoa, no more getting offended! Through experience, I've learned that when we don't forgive, most of the time we are the ones that hurt. I recently discovered that I had been holding a lot of built up years of resentment toward someone (no, it's not Tyler). I then realized that I was not forgiving that person for being imperfect. I suppose I wanted that person to be perfect and treat me perfectly and when it didn't happen the way I wanted my relationship with that person began to suffer. And no, I'm not talking about a past boyfriend either. It wasn't until I FORGAVE that person for being human and making mistakes that I FELT BETTER and my relationship with them IMPROVED. Thank heavens for the atonement, repentance, and forgiveness.

No comments: