10.19.2012

well, it's true. tyler and i are going to have a baby! i'm 13 weeks now; baby is due late april.

we've been married for 3 years and for me this has been a perfect amount of time without any pregnancy/kids. we've been able to spend so much time just with each other - learning who we are and how to make each other happy. since i've been pregnant i've been a horrible wife. i can't stand to go in the kitchen so i don't make dinners anymore and i can't stand the sight and smell of dirtiness so i don't clean very much either. i always feel like i'm going to puke which surprisingly to me makes cuddling and touching pretty much impossible too. so i am so thankful i had those three years with tyler to be a really good wife. we also went on a lot of adventures together - living in arizona and texas, road trips, and cabin vacations - which i could see being really difficult with kids. i knew once we had kids things would change a lot and the last thing i wanted was to resent my pregnancy or my kids.

yes, i realize that i'm 28 now and no spring chicken, but my growing age never really pushed me to get pregnant earlier either. having kids absolutely terrifies me. i know i'm totally naive about it all, but i do know that it will be extremely hard and it never stops. i'm not the most energy-filled person. i love my breaks. i'm a dinner and a movie kind of girl; an ideal friday night is watching a movie on the couch with my husband. and i know being a mom will require endless amounts of energy. the responsibility is daunting too. i want to have smart, disciplined children that are strong members of the church and i know that will not be easy. i also wanted to have good experiences as my foundation before i tried to be a good mother so i'm really glad i was able to serve a mission and be a teacher for three years before having a family.

but i have always really wanted a family of my own, so here we are. we started trying to get pregnant in june. when i took the test in late august and saw the results, several different emotions flooded through me. my first reaction was gratitude. i have a lot of friends and family who have been trying for a long time with no success and i thought that would be me too. also, i'm pretty convinced that i have endometriosis. i've never been diagnosed but i have all the symptoms to a t, so when we were trying, i wasn't very hopeful. after i felt gratitude, i did have a moment of, "oh crap. what did i just do???" that feeling surprised me, but i think it's legit. this a life-altering, permanent change so, yes, it scared me a little. after that i just felt excited, mixed in with a bit of nervousness now and then.

i'd say my first trimester was pretty typical: a lot of nausea from morning to night, no throwing up but some dry heaves, strong food aversions (pretty much anything home-made), food cravings (pretty much anything fast food - especially subway and french fries), weight gain (8 lbs-all my pants are already a no-go), heightened sense of smell (i've been buying a lot of air fresheners), headaches, and exhaustion. i haven't experienced frequent bathroom breaks or moodiness...yet. just this last week i started to feel a little better. i don't feel as nauseous but i'm constantly hungry so i still eat a lot. i show a little bit in tight clothes but it mostly just looks like i just ate a cafe rio burrito.

i am really excited and really grateful to be pregnant. there is no greater calling than being a mother and while the depth of that scares me, i'm also excited to grow closer to heavenly father by taking care of his children. i'm happy with how my life's gone up to this point and i think there are good things to come.

8 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

Hooray for your baby. You will absolutely be a wonderful mother! And I had the oh crap... feeling right when I found out with all three pregnancies then again the week before Charlie was born even though they were entirely planned!

Anna Harrison said...

This really is so perfect for you guys and I'm so excited! I just realized that i never called you back last week! A call from me is in your future.

Scott and Cassidy Cowley said...

Jodi I'm so excited for you! You will be the best mom. I'm happy you and Tyler had three years of being a couple first. The first three months were a huge adjustment for me, but there is nothing better. Being a mother is so fulfilling. I love starting our own family traditions. I constantly feel surrounded by heavenly fathers love. Around 6 months Eliza started going to bed at 8:30 and Scott and I have been having movie nights on the couch.

Erinn said...

Well said. You completely echoed all my own thoughts on having children. And we are really really thrillled for you guys!

Carly said...

Sounds like you know what is coming and you are much better prepared then I was! We are so happy for you guys and I sure hope it is a girl to even out the numbers...but I do have to mention that having a mini look alike boy as your husband is awesome!

Lacy_joy said...

Yay!!! so excited for you! You will be the best mom:)

Unknown said...

Monty! you have echoed all my same feelings...however I am 3 years behind you on the marriage part so in 3 years i'll understand even more!
As far as you...I so know you are going to be incredible, I saw you with your campers you are INCREDIBLE! and those little girls weren't even yours. You impress me, wish you weren't so far away but sending my love to you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMSc97UksM

Rach said...

Congrats! You guys will love being parents!