4.14.2012

Last night my grandma passed away. I haven't had a grandparent die since I was ten. She's been really sick for a while; it wasn't a big surprise. But it's still a bit of a shock to know she's gone, my mother's mom, whom I remember so dearly from trips to the cabin and her home in Nevada.

My grandma had serious mental illness throughout her whole life. She had trouble growing up with her three sisters. The things my mom told me that she did to her when she was being raised used to make me cry. She never said "I love you" to her children. She would throw hot coffee at them. She would call them names, that they were fat and ugly, and constantly make them feel worthless. My mom moved out at 16 years old to struggle on her own because it was better than living with her mom.

Grandma Mary was always kind to me. I have all positive memories of her. I remember her being quite patient with me always wanting to play with her barbies at her home or being so welcoming and friendly to my friends at the cabin.

I can't say I never felt any anger towards her because of the way she treated my mom. But we really can never judge anyone because we can not possibly know exactly who they are and why they act the way they do. No matter how awful some people seem to be, every single person is priceless in God's eyes. Every person is His child. And our job is to love.



Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God. Doctrine and Covenants 18:10


3 comments:

Anna Harrison said...

this was interesting to read. sorry for your loss! Hope everyone is okay

Heidi said...

Jodi, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. I love how you came to terms with the person she was and the person she became. All things are possible through Christ. It may not be easy, but it is possible.

I love you girl. Here is hug coming your way.

teena said...

My Dear Sweet Daughter Jodi,
My personal Scars are my Miracles.
Unfortunately, the difficult times I have faced in my life are my scars and I wear them well.
They have helped me to help others and be accepting of all. It has taken me at times a long time to learn how to forgive.
Adversity I believe at times is my middle name!!!
Sometimes by choice, other times because my higher power is teaching me a lesson.
It was through my difficult childhood that gave me the strength to raise three young men that would serve the Lord and men with the spirit of Heleman Warriors.
And, to appreciate a daughter that would serve the Lord valiantly with her whole heart and teach me to truely forgive others.
All of my children taught me by example that the worth of a soul is great in the sight of the Lord.
The adversities I faced with my siblings as a child taught me to appreciate everything I have. My adversity as a child brought me into the loving arms of the Bridges Family. Adversity also brought me into the loving and capable arms of my GREAT husband Kevin of 37 years! Without my Bridges Family, I have no idea where I would be today!
I will be forever and eternally grateful for the unconditional love and support my Mother Zenna and Dad Eugene have shown me. And, to my siters and brothers in law whom have shown me through out my entire adult life what it is to have an extraordinarily tight and loving strong family bond. I pray that as I journey onward to a new beginning, that I can be half as forgiving and supportive as they have been,,,,,that I can embrace all as well as they have. And, that I will be as accepting with uncondtional love to my sisters and brother as well. As Elder Uchtdorf said, "do not judge me because my sins are different than yours".
With All The Love I Am Capable Of,
Your Mother Teena Bridges