1.25.2011

so i'm sitting here, just got home from work, and tyler will be another half hour. i've got time to sit down and rest for a minute before i need to make dinner.

i'm looking at my blog and knowing that i haven't written forever, but i can never imagine anything to write that's read-worthy. what about my life is so cool that you'd actually want to read about it?

all i can think about is how tired i am. all. the. time. except saturdays. and sundays. i guess i am just not cut out to be a working woman. last year i was exhausted every second of my life. and i thought, this is just how the first year of teaching is. which it was. exhausting. but i am surprised at how tired i still become every day this year.

maybe it's just teaching. i tend to be a grass-is-greener kind of person. i always prove these thoughts wrong but still sometimes i wonder if i'd have more energy and enjoy my job more if I ended up doing my #2 or #3 choice of profession: editing or nursing. if i was single and planning on becoming a career woman, i would not stick with teaching. it just tears your entire soul out every day. dramatic, you might think. but true. i will always respect teachers now.

5 comments:

The Meyers said...

I don't think 12-hour graveyard nursing shifts with sick children or adults (who are usually upset, in pain, etc) is much less dramatic. :) Hopefully that makes you feel a little better.

Scott and Cassidy Cowley said...

You said it Jodi! I teach at an elementary. autism cluster. 3 grades. Teaching is so EXHAUSTING! I could have a nap everyday and still be fine going to bed. On parent teacher conference nights I can easily come home at 8 and go straight to bed. I feel guilty being tired all the time when we're so young, but I definitely think it's teaching because I'm fine in the summer. Maybe we would be fine if we could leave when the kids left and not have to write lesson plans. I miss seeing you. Thank goodness for blogs. i feel like i know what you're up to.

Nicole and Garrett said...

here here!

Anna Alyse said...

you should just get pregnant. ;)

Heidi said...

I totally agree. Teaching wears on you emotionally, mentally, and physically, and you need to be 'on' all the time. It's a job were going to the bathroom even has to be scheduled. Jim asks me if I want to teach full time and have my own class.Hmmm... Subbing may be hard, but it's not as hard as full time. I definitely would do HS, if I had to though. Too many hormomes in Jr. High.