10.02.2009

dancemedia.com :: "It's Gonna Be a Long Walk" by Travis Wall

Watch this video!!! I especially appreciate the second half.



"The world would be a miserable place WITHOUT THE ARTS." - Elder Boyd K. Packer.

I've often thought to myself how crazy it is that I'm still dancing...after 20 years since my first dance lesson...The answer is the space in my soul that the arts feed.

Art. The definition is "the expression or application of human skill and imagination typically in a visual form, producing works to be appreciated for their beauty and emotional power." Why do humans continually have a desire to express themselves? For me, when i feel something deeply, it almost itches at me to get outside of my body. Whether it's love, anger, hurt, happiness, fun. I want others to see it and experience it too. Perhaps that's why I love dancing so much. And
choreographing.

I just found this video online but it really struck me! The choreography is amazing. There is so much going on; I think I could watch this dance over and over and over and still find something new. It's itneresting to see the formation and growth of CONTEMPORARY dance. Contemporary dance is the major form of dance today. It is basically a conglomeration of all dance forms. When I watch this dance, I see ballet, jazz, lyrical, modern, and hip-hop. As dance matures into the 2010's I only imagine more of a fusion. All forms are coming together and what it's creating is a union of human expression that goes far beyond what each of those forms could produce by itself. I see so much emotion and expressional value in the dancing of today.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

when you have your first recital at the school, please let me know. If I can make it,I will be there. This was an amazing dance routine. Thanks for sharing!